Wither Twitter and South Dakota Politicians’ First Tweets?
(NPN) -- In celebration of the eighth birthday of the microblog/messenger service Twitter, they’ve made it easy for users to discover their own—or others’ first tweets.
While still a relatively new campaign and officeholder communication tool, many of the state’s major—and minor—politicians have jumped on the social media platform.
Here are some of South Dakota’s politicians' first tweets. Some are touching, some are newsy, some are cryptic, some seem to contemplate a life long before entering the political arena and some aren’t even their own. Whatever it is they said (bad grammar, spelling and all), they had 140 characters to do it in.
· Gov. Dennis Daugaard (@SDGovDaugaard):
“Welcome to the Official Twitter Feed for Gov. Dennis Daugaard!”--Jan. 5, 2011
· U.S. Sen. Tim Johnson (@SenJohnsonSD):
“I’m glad that the first bill the Senate is considering this session will create jobs and improve airline safety http://fb.me/QpnVbZHF”--Jan. 31, 2011
· U.S. Sen. John Thune (@SenJohnThune):
“Excited to start this new Twitter account!”--May 16, 2011
· U.S. Rep. Kristi Noem (@RepKristiNoem):
“Welcome to my new official twitter page. Follow me here to keep up with the latest news and information.”--Jan. 7, 2011
· Sioux Falls Mayor Mike Huether (@mymanmike):
“had a wonderful time at the Sioux Empire Fair. It was great visiting and talking about moving our city forward! http://tinyurl.com/ma3acz”--Aug. 27, 2009
· State Rep. Stace Nelson, candidate for GOP U.S. Senate nomination (@RepStaceNelson):
“See why I am running to serve #SD. Plz share w/all friends & family! Thank you & God bless! http://bit.ly/VoteStaceNelson #USMC #VOTE #GOP”--Sept. 7, 2010
· State Sen. Larry Rhoden, candidate for GOP U.S. Senate nomination (@RhodenForSenate):
“Announced my candidacy for U.S. Senate today! My campaign website is http://www.LarryRhoden.com . #sdsen”--July 10, 2013
· Dr. Annette Bosworth, candidate for GOP U.S. Senate nomination (@AnnetteBosworth):
“Mobile Ultra Sound http://fb.me/OdCfi1qx”--Mar. 10, 2011
· Former Gov. Mike Rounds, candidate for GOP U.S. Senate nomination (@RoundsForSenate):
“It was truly an honor to be introduced by my dad this morning as I announced my candidacy for US Senate.”--Nov. 29, 2012
· Attorney Jason Ravnsborg, candidate for GOP U.S. Senate nomination (@JasonRavnsborg):
“May you all have a Merry Christmas. I put a longer Christmas message on Facebook. Jason Ravnsborg”--Dec. 24, 2013
· Former U.S. Sen. Larry Pressler, independent candidate for U.S. Senate (@larrypressler):
“You can't keep Sen. Pressler out of the race! He's running in the St. Patrick's Day mile run in Sioux Falls on Saturday after the big parade”--Mar. 14, 2014
· Former Daschle aide Rick Weiland, Democratic candidate for U.S. Senate (@People4Weiland):
Weiland’s first tweet was not his own but a retweet from David Montgomery at the Sioux Falls Argus Leader: “Argus Leader exclusive: Democrat Rick Weiland to run for #SDSen. Ran for House in 96, 02. First Dem to enter race: http://www.argusleader.com/article/20130508/NEWS/130508043/Argus-exclusive-Democrat-Rick-Weiland-announces-U-S-Senate-run …”--May 8, 2013