South Dakota Prepares For A Party
Next year South Dakota celebrates 125 years. To prepare, Governor Dennis Daugaard has appointed a nine-person commission to generate ideas for celebrating South Dakota’s 125th anniversary of statehood in 2014.
The group will seek ideas from the public between now and October 1, 2013 on how to promote South Dakota’s history, increase tourism during the special year and encourage state and local events, such as all-school reunions.
In addition to the commission hearing ideas from citizens, the public can suggest ideas for the celebration by visiting the 125th Anniversary of South Dakota Statehood website. People can e-mail ideas to email@example.com.
The South Dakota 125th Anniversary of Statehood Commission is comprised of the following members:
• Jay Vogt, Pierre, current director of the State Historical Society
• Dr. Brad Tennant, Aberdeen, associate professor of history at Presentation College and current president of the South Dakota Historical Society
• Dr. David Wolff, Spearfish, Black Hills State University dean of the College of Liberal Arts, Western history specialist and author of Seth Bullock: Black Hills Lawman
• Joyce Whiting, Porcupine, Oglala Sioux tribal historic preservation specialist
• Representative Bernie Hunhoff, Yankton, publisher of South Dakota Magazine and member of the South Dakota House of Representatives
• Representative Leslie Heinemann, Flandreau, dentist and member of the South Dakota House of Representatives
• Yvonne Taylor, Presho, executive director of the South Dakota Municipal League
• Jim Larson, Sioux Falls, former executive director of the 1989 Centennial Office
• Shelley Stingley, Sioux Falls, former chair of the 1989 Centennial Commission
Gov. Daugaard does not expect to ask the 2014 Legislature for any funding or staffing for anniversary activities.
Staff from the Bureau of Administration and the Governor’s Office will work with the commission and local communities, organizations and individuals interested in holding events, promoting history and sponsoring 125th statehood anniversary activities.