Sioux Falls Fire Marshall Talks About Fireworks Safety [VIDEO]
Subscribe to 1140 KSOO-AM on
With the 4th of July fast approaching, Sioux Falls Fire Marshall Dean Lanier says fireworks safety is the number one priority when it comes to children.
Children between the ages of 10 and 14 are three times the risk of fireworks injuries than the general population.
Here are some safety tips from Dean:
1. Never allow young children to handle fireworks.
2. Older children should use fireworks only under close adult supervision.
3. Light fireworks outdoors in a clean area away from onlookers, houses and flammable materials.
4. Light one device at a time, maintain a safe distance after lighting.
5. Do not allow any running or horseplay while fireworks are being used.
6. Keep a bucket of water nearby to fully extinguish fireworks that don’t go off or in case of fire.