Georgia School Evacuated, 31 People Taken to Hospitals
ATLANTA (AP) – Authorities say 29 students and two adults have been taken to hospitals after 500 students were evacuated from an Atlanta elementary school amid concerns about carbon monoxide in the building.
Atlanta fire Capt. Marian McDaniel tells The Associated Press that 29 students, a teacher and a cafeteria worker were taken to area hospitals Monday morning.
McDaniel said Atlanta firefighters detected high and unsafe levels of carbon monoxide near a furnace at Finch Elementary School, on the city’s southwest side.
Firefighters responded to the scene shortly after 8 a.m., after reports that people were unconscious at the school. McDaniel said firefighters found people sickened, but no one was unconscious.
Video from WSB-TV showed images of rescue crews carrying young children, strapped to gurneys with oxygen masks on their faces.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.