Man Pleads Guilty to Manslaughter in Rapid City Shooting
RAPID CITY, S.D. (AP) — A man accused of fatally shooting his cousin in Rapid City over Memorial Day weekend last year has pleaded guilty to manslaughter in a deal with prosecutors.
Twenty-one-year-old Sean Marshall earlier had pleaded not guilty to murder in the death of 22-year-old Charles Metcalf. He was to stand trial beginning this coming Monday but pleaded guilty to the reduced charge this week and is to be sentenced Feb. 19.
Prosecutors will recommend a 35-year prison sentence. A judge must approve.
Authorities said Marshall admitted to shooting Metcalf but also said he feared for his life because Metcalf had threatened him.
Police said Metcalf was shot in the back multiple times.
Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.