Looking Back at the History Between the Vikings and Colts
This weekend the Minnesota Vikings will attempt to do something for the first time in 19 years. That is to beat the Indianapolis Colts.
Under the current NFL schedule rotation, the two teams only play against each other once every four years. They alternate home/away every four years as well. If you're a Colts fan and want to see them play against the Vikings in Minneapolis, it's either this weekend or in 2024.
The Colts are 8-5-1 all-time against the Vikings dating back to 1966. The two teams even played against each other in a playoff game in 1968 when the Colts were members of the "Western Conference" (and also in Baltimore). It was a Colts 24-14 victory that day. The Colts franchise would move to Indianapolis in 1984 and would not play against Minnesota until 1988.
Minnesota last beat Indianapolis in 1997 in the final regular season game. The quarterback that day for Indy? Jim Harbaugh. The Vikings would beat Harbaugh's Colts 39-28 inside the Metrodome.
But then there is the Peyton Manning era. Manning never lost to the Vikings playing them in 2000, 2004, 2008 as a member of the Colts (He also has a win against Minnesota in 2014 as a member of the Broncos). 2008 was the closest the Vikings came to beating Peyton Manning as they led 15-0 at halftime, but ended up losing 18-15.
Adam Vinatieri connected on a last second field goal to secure a 23-20 win the last time to two teams met in 2012. This was also Andrew Luck's first game against Minnesota (15-20 143 yards, 2 TDs) and was the first coaching win for Chuck Pagano.
Minnesota is 5-2-1 all-time at home against the Colts. They have never won on the road in Indianapolis or dating back to the days the Colts were in Baltimore.
- 2012: Colts 23, Vikings 20 (Indianapolis)
- 2008: Colts 18, Vikings 15 (Minneapolis)
- 2004: Colts 31, Vikings 28 (Indianapolis)
- 2000: Colts 31, Vikings 10 (Indianapolis)
- 1997: Vikings 39, Colts 28 (Minneapolis)
- 1988: Vikings 12, Colts 3 (Minneapolis) *First meeting as "Indianapolis Colts"
- 1982: Vikings 13, Colts 10 (Minneapolis)
- 1971: Vikings 10, Colts 3 (Minneapolis)
- 1969: Vikings 52, Colts 14 (Minneapolis)
- 1968: Colts 24, Vikings 14 (Baltimore) *Playoff Game
- 1968: Colts 21, Vikings 9 (Baltimore)
- 1967: Vikings 20, Colts 20 (Minneapolis)
- 1966: Colts 20, Vikings 17 (Baltimore)
- 1966: Colts 38, Vikings 23 (Minneapolis)