Nebraska Defensive End Avery Moss Will Not Play in 2014
The Nebraska Cornhuskers will be without one of their top young defensive players for the 2014 season.
CBSSports.com is reporting that sophomore defensive end Avery Moss will not play because of a one-year ban from campus.
Moss was previously banned from entering residence halls as a result of a public indecency change in 2012. He said he thought the ban had been lifted at the end of the 2013 fall semester, when it was actually not set to expire until the end of the calendar year. When he entered a dorm in December he triggered a one-year campus-wide ban.
Moss told the Associated Press he was considering a transfer, but is now hoping to return to Nebraska for the 2015 spring semester:
I have complete faith in God, and He would not put a test in front of me that I can't handle.
This is another test I feel I'll get through.
For everybody else, I want them to know that we all make mistakes.
I've learned from my mistake and seek to become a better man.
I won't let this bump in the road stop me.
Moss played in nine games for Nebraska in 2013, with three starts. He finished the season with 36 tackles, 4.5 sacks and had one interception return for a touchdown.
The 6-foot-2, 270-pound Tempe, Arizona native did not travel with Nebraska to the Gator Bowl against Georgia New Year's Day, because of what head coach Bo Pelini described as a 'personal issue'.
Moss appeared in Lancaster County Court this week, pleading no contest to the public indecency charge from 2012 and pleading guilty to a charge of failing appear to a previously scheduled court hearing. A charge of disturbing the peace was dropped. He'll be sentenced March 28.
University spokesman Steve Smith said Moss had been ordered off the campus through at least Dec. 31. Smith said he couldn't disclose the reason for the ban because of privacy laws, though a police report said a female student in December 2012 reported that a man exposed himself twice to her at a campus convenience store where she worked. She later identified Moss after looking at a photo.
Moss appeared in Lancaster County Court on Monday and, in addition to pleading no contest to public indecency, pleaded guilty to a charge of failing appear to a previously scheduled court hearing. A charge of disturbing the peace was dropped. He'll be sentenced March 28.
With the loss of Moss, the Huskers' defensive line has just one player (Randy Gregory) with extensive experience as a starter. Aaron Curry and Vincent Valentine also return, as does Maliek Collins, who made his first career start in the Gator Bowl.
The Huskers open the 2014 season at home with Florida Atlantic, Saturday, August 30th.