Jacks Roll Trojans 83-52
BROOKINGS, SD — South Dakota State got 21 points and a career-high 12 rebounds from Jordan Dykstra and a career-high 17 points from Tony Fiegen in a dominating 83-52 win over Dakota State on Thursday at Frost Arena.
“We did what we should have done, which is go inside with the basketball to a lot of our guys, and certainly Jordan and Tony had great games for us,” head coach Scott Nagy said. “Chad got to the basket off the dribble, and that’s where we should score, at the basket.”
The Jackrabbits, who improve to 7-3 with the win, also got 10 points from both Brayden Carlson and Chad White.
SDSU shot a season-high 60.7 percent from the floor, connecting on 34 of its 56 shots in the game, including a 7-for-16 effort from beyond the 3-point arc (43.8 percent).
The visiting Trojans shot 38.3 percent from the floor on 18-of-47 shooting, with a 5-for-14 mark from long range (35.7 percent).
Luke Lamb led Dakota State with 14 points, Yusuf Vinson added 11 and Terrell Newton nine points in the loss, which finishes the game with a 7-1 record.
Dakota State scored first and opened an early 11-5 lead, but the Jackrabbits responded with a 17-1 run, keyed by two Cory Jacobsen 3-pointers, that gave SDSU a 10-point, 22-12 lead.
The Jacks led 35-25 at the half, but eight quick points from Dykstra to start the second half pushed the lead to 43-27, and SDSU continued to build from there, stretching the lead to as many as 32 points on a Carlson layup with just over two minutes to play.
Now with 22 consecutive home wins, the Jacks look to make it 23 on Sunday, when they host CSU Bakersfield inside Frost Arena at 2 p.m.
* SDSU leads the all-time series with DSU 20-4, with wins in each of the last nine meetings.
* The win stretches the SDSU home win streak to 22 games.
* All nine SDSU players in uniform scored at least one field goal in the game.
* Joey Feilmeier scored his first points as a Jackrabbit, going 1-for-1 from 3-point range.
* Dykstra posted his second-career double-double, his first being a 20 point, 10 rebound game at Centenary on Feb. 5, 2011.
* Dykstra’s career-high 12 rebounds tops his previous high of 10 against Centenary and 10 at Oakland on Jan. 26, 2012.
* Fiegen’s 17 points tops his previous high of 16, which he did twice, the last being last week against Omaha.
* SDSU shot better than 60 percent from the floor for the first time since the shot 61.5 percent (32-of-52) vs. IUPUI on Jan. 10, 2009.
Courtesy: South Dakota State University