Halloween Safety Tips from Sioux Falls Police Chief [VIDEO]
Subscribe to 1140 KSOO-AM on
Halloween is an exciting time of year for kids, and to help ensure they have a safe holiday, Sioux Falls Police Chief Doug Barthel urges parents and guardians to make this a safe event!
Here are Halloween safety tips from Chief Bartel and the American Academy of Pediatrics:
- Plan costumes that are bright and reflective.
- Consider adding reflective tape or striping to costumes.
- Obtain flashlights with fresh batteries for all children and their escorts.
- A parent or responsible adult should always accompany young children on their neighborhood rounds.
- Only go to homes with a porch light on and never enter a home or car for a treat.
- Only cross the street as a group in established crosswalks.
- Wait until children are home to sort and check treats. Though tampering is rare, a responsible adult should closely examine all treats and throw away any spoiled, unwrapped or suspicious items.