Growing Up In South Dakota
Here’s a humorous take on growing up in South Dakota. However, this is not a joke.
All of these are true. I know because I grew up there.
I have experienced many of these. Non of us get to choose where we are born. We just come into the world. I’m so glad the world I came into was South Dakota!
Anyone from this wonderful state will definitely recognize these. You grew up in South Dakota if:
- You know how to polka, but never tried it sober.
- You know what knee high by the Fourth of July means.
- You know the difference between ‘Green’ and ‘Red’ farm
machinery, and would fight with your friends on the playground over
which was better!
- You or someone you know was a ‘Beef Queen or Dairy Princess’ at the county fair.
- Football schedules, branding calves and weaning, hunting
season and harvest are all taken into consideration before wedding dates
- Cruising ‘Main’ lasts for 6 blocks.
- There was at least one kid in your class who had to help milk
cows in the morning before school.
- You have driven your car on a lake.
- Your definition of a small town is one that only has one
- Your vocabulary still includes, ‘Yes, Ma’am’ and No Sir’.
- You understand that brakes on silage trucks are considered a
All of these are funny but so true. Anyone that grew up here made a connection to this list.
I forgot one more:
You grow up thinking that the opening day of deer & pheasant seasons are national holidays.