Death in Sioux Falls Detox Center Sparks Lawsuit
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) — The daughter of a woman who died in the Minnehaha County Detoxification Center is suing, saying workers did not properly care for her mother.
Forty-eight-year-old Charleen Karr died Nov. 18, 2012. Authorities say she was taken to the detox center after consuming rubbing alcohol and telling a helpline that she was trying to commit suicide.
Her daughter, Bethany Karr, claims in her wrongful death lawsuit that center workers left her mother unmonitored for more than three hours and tried to cover up that fact. She’s suing the county, the private company that administers the center for the county and four employees, seeking unspecified damages.
County Administrative Officer Ken McFarland tells the Argus Leader that county attorneys are still reviewing the lawsuit that was filed Wednesday in U.S. District Court.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.