Cougars Set for Pair of NSIC Matchups
SIOUX FALLS, SD – Sioux Falls looks to capture their first conference victory in their first-ever NSIC games held at the Stewart Center. The Cougars host Concordia University-St. Paul Friday, December 14 and Minnesota State University, Mankato Saturday December 15. Neither team is a familiar opponent, as combined USF has faced the two teams 12 times in the last 40 seasons. Following a 37-year hiatus, USF and Concordia squared off for a non-conference contest last fall, which resulted in a 20-point Golden Bear win.
• Friday marks the sixth meeting all-time between USF and Concordia. Dating back to 1972-73, the Cougars claimed the first four meetings, but were defeated by the Golden Bears last season, which made the series 4-1, USF.
• The Cougars currently rank fifth in the nation for scoring defense (55.9).
• USF head coach Chris Johnson was a graduate assistant at Minnesota State from 1999-2001.
• Including three matchups with NSIC members last season, USF has dropped seven straight against conference opponents.
• Saturday will be USF’s first meeting with Minnesota State in nine years (12/03). The Cougars have dropped three of the last four contests against the Mavericks, who own a 5-2 advantage all-time.
• The Cougars average 9.57 steals per game which is the best mark in the NSIC.
• USF netted a season-high nine 3-pointers in last weekend’s dual at Augustana.
• The Cougars have recorded 19 consecutive victories at home. Their last home loss came against Dordt (2/11).
Courtesy: University of Sioux Falls