Contest Winner Dies After Eating Roaches
This would be funny if it didn't have to be so serious, and maybe you've heard about it.
Seems a 32-year-old guy in Florida entered a roach-eating contest. That's right, a roach-eating contest.
And he won, but he didn't live long to savor the victory, so to speak.
Because the sheriff's office says he died after eating the insects.
I'll say right here that I would never, ever eat one roach, let alone enough to win a contest. I know John the Baptist ate locusts and wild honey in the Bible stories, but I'm also going to say here that things might have been different then.
Oh--I almost forgot: First prize was a live python.
Here's the Associated Press story:
DEERFIELD BEACH, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say the winner of a roach-eating contest in South Florida died shortly after downing dozens of the live bugs as well as worms. The grand prize in Friday night's contest was a live python.
The Broward County sheriff's office says in a news release that it is waiting for an autopsy to give the official cause of death.
However, the news release Monday says 32-year-old Edward Archbold became ill soon after winning and collapsed in front of the Ben Siegel Reptile Store where the contest was held. The store is in Deerfield Beach about 40 miles north of Miami. Archbold was taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Police say several contestants ate insects but no one else became ill.