Can Simple Things Make You as Happy as a Tropical Luxury Vacation or Winning the Lottery?
I have traveled through a lot of the United States in my life, also in Canada and Baja, California too, so I consider myself very lucky.
I have relatives in the Bronx, New York who have never even left their borough! I know many people who have never ventured out of South Dakota. I myself have aspirations of going to Europe someday, specifically Italy (to visit our weird & wacky Italian family members ) and Ireland (where I assume my very Irish mother had some equally zany ancestors).
I also imagine what it might be like to take a tropical vacation in Hawaii, Mexico or some equally exotic island location. The likelihood of any and all of these wishes coming true are about as likely as me winning the lottery but that doesn't stop me from dreaming.
My dad was a big dreamer and once after I chastised him about it he said:
You have to have dreams, because without dreams, you have no hope and without hope, you have nothing!
I still have that saying on my dresser at home and I take it to heart when people talk about their dreams. All of this aside, the question at hand here is whether simple things can also make you very happy.
A new survey from a Great Britain healthcare group reveals that they absolutely can!
Here are the Top 10 Simple Things That Can Make You Happy:
- Sleeping in a freshly made bed - I adore this feeling but I hate the laundry that precedes it!
- Feeling the sun on your face - For me, only enjoyable in early spring & late fall, because you know I hate summer!!
- Someone saying "thank you" or a random act of kindness from a stranger - So unexpected and so lovely.
- Find money in unexpected places - I found a $20 bill in an old raincoat once & you would have thought I did win the lottery!
- Having time to yourself - Glorious & yet fraught with, "now what should I do first?" thoughts.
- Laughing so hard it hurts - Since Benji and I started working together (21 years ago) this event happens almost every single day & it does make me insanely happy, in fact some days it keeps me alive!
- Snuggling on the sofa with a loved one -Do furry kids count?
- Freshly baked bread - This still makes me think of my Mom's bread & thus her, so then I smile and curse like a sailor!
- Doing something for others - Refer to number 7. . .
- The clean feeling after a shower - especially in the summer (which you know I hate) after mowing - ahhhhh!
Here is something that makes me happy every time I look at it:
The complete list is a long one, 50 things in fact, but I imagine it is even much longer for most people. Take a look and chime in!